First Aid Updates from Fane Ltd
HELP 01207 693828
HSE Update on First Aid Training - 1st October 2013
What has Changed? ...............................
HSE are now no longer responsible for Approving & Quality Assuring First Aid providers- this means that from October 1st 2013 there are no longer HSE Approved Providers or courses!
However the HSE still specifies the content and duration of courses and gives guidance on what an appropriate provider should have in place in terms of Quality Assurance, Moderation, staffing and qualifications
What hasn't changed!!!!!...........................
HSE will continue to set the standards for training. Whilst the changes give employers flexibility, the one day Emergency First Aid at Work (EFAW) and three day First Aid at Work (FAW) courses remain the building blocks for first aid training.
"Employers still have a legal duty to make arrangements to ensure their employees receive immediate attention if they are injured or taken ill at work."
You can download copies of the amended legislation & guidance by clicking on these links
Health & Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981
Guidance on choosing a first aid training provider
To summarise, the new guidance issued by HSE basically gives employers and organisations 2 choices
Access all first aid training through a provider that is using an HSE approved Awarding Organisation offering Nationally Recognised(QCF listed) courses
Access non- nationally recognised provision and carry out some due diligence checks to ensure that the training booked meets HSE standards
The HSE are happy for you to choose whichever option best meets the needs of your organisation!!
At Fane Ltd we can offer either of these options (the Emergency First Aid at Work and First Aid at Work and Requalification course will be exactly the same duration, content & quality whichever option you choose!!)
To help any organisation that chooses Non -Nationally Recognised Provision we have already completed the Due Diligence checklist for you and will provide a signed copy on headed paper to anyone who books first aid training with us. This should be kept in your H&S records to prove that you have carried out the required checks( all original documentation detailed in the checklist is available for inspection, should you require it) . We will send out updated information whenever required
Why might you decide on Non- Accredited Provision?
1. It's cheaper for you-as you do not have to pay an awarding body for certificates!
2. You have used us previously and know the quality of our trainers and training and don't need external verification of this
3. You want your course tailored to you covering specific first aid issues covered on the course that are not on the HSE syllabus
4. There would be no additional benefit to your organisation from having staff with a QCF listed qualification
Why you might you decide on Nationally Recognised Provision?
1. You are using Fane Ltd for the first time and are not sure about the due diligence process outlined above
2. Your quality system or IIP or other accreditation requires QCF qualifications
3. Your delegates funded by an organisation that requires QCF qualifications to draw down funding(eg Skills Funding Agency)
4.The training is for jobseekers or young people whose chances of employment or access to further education might be enhanced by attaining a nationally recognised first aid qualification
The Health & Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981 can be downloaded by clicking here
The HSE Guidance on choosing a first aid training provider can be downloaded by clicking here
If you would like any further information or clarification- please give us a call (01207)693828